Event start date and time: April 12, 2012 5:00 PM
Event end date and time: March 28, 2013 5:00 PM
The Alexandria Childhood Obesity Action Network is working to address the growing obesity epidemic among children, ages 2-5, through policy and community
change. We recognize that if families do not feel safe going to a neighborhood playground, cannot buy fresh fruits and vegetables at a nearby grocery store, or sufficiently obtain them through food assistance programs then it will be difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Our mission is to make the healthy choice, the easy choice.
Some specific tasks the Community Coordinator will be working on include:
- Support the implementation and promotion of SNAP at Alexandria farmers markets. Provide trainings for vendors about how to accept and market SNAP/Double Dollar. Collaborate with community organizations to take clients on market tours and host cooking lessons to raise awareness of the market.
- Support the food access committee's work in developing and implementing a comprehensive, integrated healthy food procurement, distribution, and access network for Alexandrians needing food assistance. A consultant is being hired to conduct a feasibility study; the coordinator will be supporting these efforts and building local networks and awareness of the initiative.
- Provide leadership and support to the Project Play Task Force, its work in developing recommendations around the Alexandria Playspace Assessment, and planning and promotion for a citywide Play Day.
All work will be done in close collaboration with community partners and Alexandria Childhood Obesity Action Network committees.
- A bachelors degree and at least two years of relevant experience public health, community organizing, social marketing, or other related fields.
- Working knowledge of policy, systems, and environmental change
- Familiarity with the Alexandriacommunity is preferred.
This is a grant-funded, one year position that is paid hourly. Community Coordinator will be expected to work 15-20 hours per week. Hours are flexible but some evening and weekend meetings will be required. Wage commensurate with experience -$18-$22/hour.
Resumes with cover letters should be emailed by Friday, March 30, 2012 to Carrie Fesperman Redden at firstname.lastname@example.org. More information about the Alexandria Childhood Obesity Action Network at www.HealthierAlexandria.org/healthylifestyles
• Post ID: 9156135 nova